Winthrop is a rugged intimate blend* of organic linen and organic cotton fibers, which can stand up to most anything. The fabric is a canvas, with tightly twisted yarns, so the overall effect is soft yet substantial, with a lovely drape. Perfect for upholstery in the most demanding residential conditions, it's also great for slipcovers, clothes, drapes, top of the bed, most anything where you need a light heavyweight, supple fabric.
Winthrop is a GOTS certified fabric. GOTS is Global Organic Textile Standard. What is GOTS?
Think of making applesauce. If you start with organic apples, but add red dye #2, stabilizers, preservatives, emulsifiers, etc., you do not get organic applesauce. The same is true with fabric. Insist on GOTS.
Want to learn more?
The Fabric Name
Winthrop is named after a rugged town in eastern Washington State which provided background for The Virginian, America's first western novel. Bordered on the west by the pristine forests and stunning views of North Cascades National Park, Winthrop remains a lovely center for river rafting, cross country skiing, and other outdoor activities.
- abrasion test results: 25,000 Wyzenbeek
- care: Pre-shrunk. We suggest cool water wash and air dry to prolong the life of the fabric, the vibrancy of the dyes, and to save on resources.
- certification: GOTS, the Global Organic Textile Standard
- content: 55% organic linen, 45% organic cotton
- weight: 13.5 oz yd2 / 458 gm m2
- width: 54" / 137 cm
- *An intimate blend means that the cotton fibers and the linen fibers are spun together into one yarn; as opposed to other techniques such as the warp being all one fiber and the weft the other, or 100% cotton fiber yarns twisted with 100% linen fiber yarns, etc.