Cascade is long fiber hemp. Everyone thinks that buying hemp fabrics is all you need to do to be a steward of both the planet and animals, including people (your family). But there are several important issues with hemp. As with all fibers, if it is processed “conventionally,” I that is, not according to GOTS, the Global Organic Textile Standard, then it may (very likely) chemicals of concern. As Leigh Anne says, it’s like applesauce: You can start with organic apples, but, if you add red dye #2, emulsifiers, stabilizers, etc., you don’t make organic applesauce.
The Fabric Name
- Abrasion Test Result: 35,000 Martindale
- care: Pre-shrunk. Hemp loves to be washed. But be sure to test a little sample in the water in your area. Water minerals can make Cascade, for a few washings, less soft. You can always professionally green clean. Cascade gets softer with washing. But, please, do not use hot temperatures very often to preserve the color and to save the planet!
- certification: Oeko-Tex 100 Certified
- content: 100% long fiber hemp
- weight: 16 oz yd2 / 510 gm m2
- width: 55" / 140 cm
*** A discussion of what the abrasion ratings mean.