AboutMethow is a luminous 100% organic cotton velvet. Heavy duty residential upholstery fabric and also terrific for drapery or apparel.
Methow 1 is an organic fabric. It is GOTS certified.
GOTS, the Global Organic Textile Standard, aims to define a universal standard for organic fabric, from harvesting the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing, to labeling, in order to provide credible assurance to consumers. GOTS requires:
- A minimum of 70% fibers used must be organically certified (Ours are 100%);
- Environmentally safe processing requirements, which includes wastewater treatment internally before discharge to surface waters, must be in place. This pertains to pH and temperature as well as to biological and chemical residues in the water.
- Environmentally sound packaging requirements are in place; PVC (vinyl) in packaging is prohibited, paper must be post-consumer recycled or certified according to FSC* or PEFC**.
- Labor practices are interpreted in accordance with the International Labor Organization (ILO) - no forced, bonded, or slave labor; workers have the right to join or form trade unions and to bargain collectively; working conditions are safe and hygienic; there must be no new recruitment of child labor (and for those companies where children are found to be working, provisions must be made to enable him to attend and remain in quality education until no longer a child); wages paid must meet, at a minimum, national legal standards or industry benchmarks, whichever is higher.
More about GOTS: How Can We Make Sure a Fabric is Free of Chemicals of Concern?
The Fabric NameThe Methow River is a tributary of the mighty Columbia in Washington State. Named for the Methow Native Americans, today part of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Indian Reservation, the watershed is characterized by relatively pristine habitats, as much of the river basin is located in national forests and wildernesses. Seattleites (and others) flock to the area for skiing - especially cross-country skiing as it is home to the nation's largest cross-country ski area - hiking and biking.
- abrasion test results: 22,000 Martindale
- care: Methow is washable. Iron with a very hot iron on the reverse. Or use a professional green cleaner.
- certification: GOTS, the Global Organic Textile Standard
- content: 100% organic cotton
- railroaded: No directionality
- weight: 10.5 oz yd2 / 515 gm m2
- width: 54" / 137 cm
*FSC is the Forest Stewardship Council, is an independent, non-governmental, not for profit organization established to promote the responsible management of the world's forests.
**PEFC, the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification, is a leading global alliance of national forest certification systems. As an international non-profit, non-governmental organization, PEFC promotes sustainable forest management through independent third-party certification.