Chelan is a subtly classic herringbone linen/cotton blend. The yarns in Chelan are the same tightly spun organic linen/organic cotton blend we use in Winthrop. (We also have a hemp/organic cotton version. If you are specifically looking for hemp, give us a call.) It has a smooth hand coupled with a hefty weight that adds to its strength and durability.
Chelan is a fabric certified to The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), the gold standard of fabric certifications. You want your fabrics to be certified, not just your fibers. It’s like applesauce: if you start with organic apples, then cook them with preservatives, emulsifiers, Red Dye #2, and stabilizers; the final product is not “organic”. The same is true with fabrics.
The Fabric Name
Lake Chelan in Washington State is the third deepest lake in the country and 24th deepest in the world. It's from a Salish Indian word meaning “deep water." The northern portion of the lake is protected by the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area, and access is limited.
Perfect for upholstery, slipcovers, coats, jackets, jumpers - or anyplace you want a hardworking fabric that feels good against the skin. Chelan's high abrasion rating means that it can be used as upholstery fabric in demanding residential situations - in areas heavily used, even by kids and pets!
- abrasion test result: 25,000 Wyzenbeek**
- care: Washable in all temperatures. Pre-shrunk. We always suggest using cool temperatures to prolong the life of your fabric and the vibrancy of colors, and to save energy. If you choose to iron the fabric, do so while still damp.
- certification: GOTS, the Global Organic Textile Standard
- content: 55% organic linen; 45% organic cotton
- directionality: Up the roll – the tips point up the roll
- repeat: horizontal: 0.25"; vertical: 25"
- weight: 13.5 oz yd2 / 458 gm m2
- width: 56" / 142 cm
- *Up the roll
** A discussion of what the abrasion ratings mean.